Friday, April 22, 2011

joy

Happy Good Friday everyone!

A brief note about altruism and WWJD:

One of the readings at last night's Maundy Thursday services was the account of Jesus washing the disciples' feet. The creator of the universe was performing the most unwanted of jobs to serve his creation. His entire life and ministry on earth was dedicated to service and giving his life as a ransom.

When I came home, I spent some time working on my blog, and created the About Me page. As I hit "publish page," it dawned on me how incredibly selfish I felt. I had just heard in church about how Christ gave his body and blood for me, and then I turn around and focus on none other than myself.

As we meditate this weekend on Christ's ultimate sacrifice and then triumph over sin, death, and the devil, I feel that it is the perfect time to launch project JOY. Does anyone else remember this acronym from grade school/Sunday School/church? The thoughts and actions of a Christian will focus first on Jesus, second on Others, and finally on Yourself. During my week of Project JOY, I will seek out ways to serve Christ and those around me.

Tonight, let us thank God that he suffered and died so don't have to. Let us thank him for taking each of our sins upon himself and removing them from us as far as the east is from the west.

"Surely he took up our infirmities
   and carried our sorrows,
yet we considered him stricken by God,
   smitten by him, and afflicted.
 But he was pierced for our transgressions,
   he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,
   and by his wounds we are healed.
We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
   each of us has turned to his own way;
and the LORD has laid on him
   the iniquity of us all."
~Isaiah 53:4-6

What are some ways you have found to serve others?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Feel free to leave a comment :)