What a weekend! At the cost of abandoning the ol' blog, the past few days have been a whirlwind of activity!
Primero, I took a mental health day on Thursday. Substitute teaching is great money, but it really drains me mentally, emotionally, and even physically. Babysitting a group of 30 ten-year-olds who refuse to listen, do work, or stand in a straight line without talking, and whose names I don't know, is NOT the same as teaching. Every time I walk into a foreign school to sub, I repeat my mantra to get me through the day: money for travel, money for travel, money for travel.
So on Thursday (I only sub Tuesdays and Thursdays), I decided that it was going to be a personal day. I was still feeling icky from Tuesday's job (and other happenings in life), and couldn't figure out how to shake the blues. After an hour of journaling, Bible reading, and prayer, I was ready to do something positive, and accomplish something on my life list!
That's right. I bled my own blood for the American Red Cross. It was so easy, and I'll admit, I felt like it was a selfish way to make myself feel better, but if someone got some good, clean blood out of it, I guess it turned out ok.
Movin' on to Saturday. I finally got a chance to see my baby sister play some volleyball! She was playing in a tournament about 1.5 hrs away, so Justin and I made the drive to see her dig the ball like crazy. She's a great little libero, and getting better by the day!
| She's a beast! |
I'm always talking about being a tourist in my own city, and trying to be more a part of the community. Well, Justin and I had a wonderful opportunity to do just that. Some friends invited us to run alongside them in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 5K. It was my first 5K, and I was kicking myself for not adding "run a 5K" to my life list, just so I could cross it off :)
We had the perfect weather (oh so rare in Minnesota) and enjoyed exercise, sun, and good vibrations with about 50,000 other people! Way to go Metro Twin Cities! It was so uplifting to see so many people come together to raise money and awareness for breast cancer.
| The guys - still have energy after running 3 miles |
Finally, happy belated Mother's Day to my beautiful, hard-working mother! A more selfless example was never set. She's our mom, teacher, driver, secretary, party planner, chef, cheerleader, maid (sorry), and life coach. Thanks, Mom, for never accepting less than our best. You still teach me so much about what it means to be a faithful wife and mother.
![]() |
| Mommy and her girls |
Happy Mom's Day, also, to my mother-in-law (probably the best one out there), and to Nana and Grandma. I've got a lot of great moms in my life :)
So much to be thankful for.
How do you get involved in your community?
What's the greatest thing your mom has taught you?


I started giving blood recently as well. One of my friends lost his father and decided to hold a blood drive in honor of his father's birthday. I'd been wanting to give blood for a while, but I was scared after a near fainting experience when I was 18. But it went off without a hitch and I've been donating regularly ever since. I love Race for the Cure, I missed it this year but hope to do it next year!
ReplyDeleteI had never even heard of Race for the Cure until my friends asked us to run with them. My husband and I couldn't stop gushing about how much we loved it! I will definitely do it again next year!
ReplyDeleteGiving blood was another thing I had always wanted to do, but kept putting it off. Such an easy way to give back and help out!